Staging your home can make all the difference when deciding to put your house on the market. It has the potential to fast-track your sale and/or increase the perceived value. You may think that staging is expensive, and it can be, so we pulled together 10 ideas you can do yourself for little to no cost.
- De-clutter! This is absolutely number one. Removing the clutter from your house will change the appearance immediately. And an added bonus, it will help you get a head start on packing.
- Add fresh flowers and candles. This will make your home appear welcoming and homey. Make sure to use scents that are light and fresh, nothing overpowering.
- Open all the blinds and turn on all the lights. This will make your home appear brighter and more appealing.
- Touch up or re-paint rooms. Having a fresh coat of paint in a neutral or light color will make the home look new and allow the potential owner to start with a blank slate. It will also cover up the years of scuffs, oily hands and random spots that could cause concern for some home-buyers.
- Throw Pillows. Add some decorative throw pillows to your beds and couches.
- Rake and mow your yard. Whatever the season, make sure your yard is kept up. It its spring or summer, keep a freshly cut lawn. If it’s fall or winter, rake up the leaves.
- Add flowers. Whether you plant flowers out front, or add potted entry-way plants, these little touches can really brighten up the entrance to your home.
- Power wash or touchup. Washing off that slight green tint or touching up paint on a few spots will help tremendously. Although a seemingly simple task for the next homeowner, seeing the grime could be a turnoff for a potential buyer.
- Exterior lights. Make sure all your outdoor lights are working in case buyers come by at later hours. If you don’t have any, make an effort to add a couple.
- Show the Potential. Have a porch, backyard or deck? Add some rocking chairs or patio furniture. Let the buyer envision themselves relaxing or entertaining company.
By making the extra effort through one of all of the tasks above, you could truly make a huge difference in how fast and for how much your house sells. Take action today!